Preparing Chocolate for Dipping
Without breaking the temper
Real chocolate comes from the manufacturer in perfect temper. If you can melt the chocolate without breaking the temper, the process is much quicker and the results are more likely to be acceptable. Following are two methods of melting the chocolate without breaking the temper:
- Finely chop chocolate and melt over 95°F water in a double boiler setup (either a double boiler or a bowl over a saucepan of hot water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water). Continue to heat chocolate over the 95°F water until chocolate is melted but still contains softened chunks. Remove the chocolate from over the water, continue stirring rapidly until chocolate is smooth and free of lumps. The temperature of the chocolate should be 86°F to 89°F. It is now ready for dipping or molding.
- Finely chop the chocolate and melt 3/4 of the amount over 95°F water in a double boiler setup. When melted and smooth, remove from over the water and add remaining finely chopped chocolate. Stir until completely smooth and at a temperature of 86°F to 89°F. It is now ready for dipping or molding.
Melting coatings for dipping
To prepare flavored compound coatings for dipping, follow these easy steps:
- Heat water to a boil in the bottom of a double boiler setup.
- Remove water from heat and place compound coating in the top of the double boiler.
- Stir occasionally until compound coating is melted (about 3 to 5 minutes).
- Remove top of double boiler from hot water and allow compound coating to cool for several minutes, or place over cold water and stir until thickened slightly.
- Replace hot water with warm water in bottom of double boiler.
- When compound coating has thickened slightly, place it over warm water and begin dipping centers. If it is too thick for dipping, warm water slightly. If compound coating is too thin, place over cooler water. Keep compound coating stirred while dipping.
Temperatures for Dipping
Real Milk Chocolate: 86°F
Real Semisweet Chocolate: 90°F
Compound Coatings: 98°F