Mack Avenue Plant
This is a reduced scale representation -- one quarter the size of the original building -- of the first factory of the Ford Motor Company. The original building, a remodeled wagon shop, was located at 688-692 Mack Avenue in Detroit, Michigan.
In 1903, the Ford Motor Company was incorporated, with Henry Ford as the vice-president and chief engineer. From 1903 to 1905 the early products of the company were assembled in "stations" from purchased parts. It was not until 1913 that Ford first used the moving assembly line at the Highland Park Plant.
The Mack Avenue Plant produced an average of 15 finished autombiles a day while it was in operation. The Model A sold for $750 in 1903 and the Model C sold for $850 in 1905. Various options were available at an additional cost.
With the growth of the Ford Motor Company, the company moved in 1905 to Piquette Avenue. In 1906, Henry Ford became president of the company.
The Model A and C automobiles were among the first cars produced by the Ford Motor Company.
The cars were produced, utilizing the station assembly technique common in early assembly plants.
Teams of workers built the cars in one place, starting with the chassis on sawhorses. Parts and
components, supplied by outside contractors, were brought to the car and assembled in place.
When the automobile was complete, the men inspected, tuned and otherwise prepared the automobile
for shipping. It was this system of small assembly operation that Henry Ford made obsolete with
the moving assembly line at the Highland Park Plant in 1913-1914.
|| | | | ||