George Washington Carver Memorial
Henry Ford built this cabin in 1942 as a lasting memorial to his friend and fellow innovator, George Washington Carver (1865-1943). Carver, born into slavery on a Diamond Missouri farm about 1865, was educated at Iowa State College and lived to achieve great fame as an agricultural scientist and educator at Tuskegee Institute, Tuskegee, Alabama.
Although hailed during his lifetime as "The Wizard of Tuskegee" for his work in agricultural chemistry, George Washington Carver is today better remembered as a naturalist. He had a deeply spiritual vision of the organic unity of the universe and of man's need to work with and not against the forces of nature. His goal was to help African-Americans in the rural south to overcome poverty and to enhance their lives as farm families.
When George Washington Carver died in 1943, he was one of the most celebrated African-Americans of his time. After graduate training in agricultural science at Iowa State College, Carver joined the faculty of Tuskegee Institute in Alabama. There he sustained his commitment to education of African-American students and farmers. As he said, "education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom to our people."
At a time when few Americans obtained a graduate degree, the accomplishments of George Washington Carver were truly remarkable. Orphaned in infancy, he supported himself doing odd jobs as he sought an education: first in Missouri, then in Kansas, and finally in Iowa.
It was during the late 1930s that Henry Ford and George Washington Carver became good friends.
Both men shared an interest in "chemurgy", a movement dedicated to discovering new industrial
uses for agricultural products. Ford, who was actively promoting the use of plastics from soybeans, greatly admired
|| | | | ||